By: Ashley Elvington
When it comes to having a home, Barbie shouldn’t be the only one with the dream house. While searching for the perfect place to hang your hat, it can be difficult to determine which method is best – building or buying. Here are five reasons as to why you may want to consider building your own home.
1. It may be the cheaper option of the two. When buying a home, you could pay a pretty penny; whereas with building your own, you’re looking at the contractor’s cost of building being only 25% for land, materials, manual labor, and builder’s profit. With building your own home, you’re relieving yourself of spending money on repairs – everything in the house is brand new. With updates in walling and insulation, utility bills have drastically decreased compared to what they were decades ago. Another perk, perhaps the greatest of all, of building? You will not have to pay a mortgage and you will not face a lifetime of repayment over home loans.
2. You are guaranteed to have the perfect home for you. It’s hard to go wrong or be unsatisfied with a home you’ve played a hand in building and designing. Whether you want a family room or a man cave with a big screen TV and a pool table, the choice is up to you since you are in control of the blueprints. You’re also in charge of the materials used; when chosen correctly, this could prevent your house from the proverbial “falling down” stage that many homes experience through wear and tear of poor building materials over time.
3. There’s a lot to learn that is beneficial during building. As a part of the building process, you will learn about plumbing and electricity, which will come in handy should something develop issues later on. It’s best to know the odds and ends of everything in your house so you can maintain it properly. It’s your house after all, why not learn how everything operates?
4. Building your own home could help your local economy. Perhaps you’ve chosen a part of a town or city that is slowly growing and would encourage others to build in it. You can also help your community by hiring local builders, plumbers, electricians, designers, etc.
5. It is YOUR home that YOU helped create. While the process will take some time to complete, it will all be worth it in the end once you’re standing inside the dream house you designed to fit your every need. That alone is satisfying and worth every second of hard work!